Well, to say that we had an interesting Memorial Day would be an understatement. The day before we celebrated my mom's birthday and went out to dinner. On Memorial Day, the kids wanted to play on the swing set around dinner time. We were just out there hanging out. The triplets wanted to have a jumping off the swing contest.
One by one they went and when it was Abby's turn, I saw her jump and land on her arms and head. She started crying immediately and I knew it was going to be bad. I ran to her and asked if her head was okay. She said that she didn't hit her head and instead used her arms to break her fall. We brought her inside to lay on the couch. She was pretty much hysterical. I knew that I would have to take her to the ER.
Chris stayed with the others and I loaded Abby in the van. It was a difficult task since she was holding her arms strangely. The entire way there she kept apologizing and saying that she shouldn't have jumped off. Just like her dad! I told her that things happen and we will get through this.
The ER wasn't too busy and we were seen right away. The nurse gave her some medicine for the pain and said her arms look broken. We were taken to a room to wait for an X-ray.
The nurses were amazing! Never once did we see a doctor. The nurses did it all! They wheeled in the giant machine and did the X-rays. We then waited for someone to read them and give us results. They said that her left arm was a broken elbow and the right was a little more complicated. They suggested we see an ortho doctor in the morning.
They wrapped up her arms and gave her some slings and we were ready to go home.
The next day she stayed home from school and I got to call our ortho doctor from before when she broke arm. We went in and took some more X-rays. The doctor said that on a scale of 1-10, 10 being worst, her left arm was a 1. Her right arm was a 5. Thankfully, we didn't need to set the bones in her forearm. He suggested that we come back in a week for another X-ray on the right arm. We decided to cast the left arm right away since it wasn't swollen. She chose pink again.
The boys came home from school with notes from the entire class. They were so sweet!
This is way different than her last break as we have to feed her, take her to the bathroom, and carefully bathe her. She is taking it very well and is such a good sport about it all.








No comments:
Post a Comment