Saturday, January 31, 2009

ISCU (aka NICU) Follow-Up

After one of the worst nights we've had (I think they drew straws for who would keep us up; Josh won), Chris and I had to load up the kiddos and hike up to Evanston for our follow-up visit. We fed the kids around 7:30 am and made it out the door by 8:30 for our hour long drive.

I really wish that we had the snap and go stroller!!! The 2 strollers we have require the kids to be a bit bigger. Also, it would be a pain in the butt to take them out of the car seats and load them in the stroller. With the snap and go you just keep them in the infant car seat and put them in. What's the saying? Hindsight's 20/20. On the positive side, I'm gonna have some killer biceps ;) Anyway, the office was right next to my Fetal Diagnostics office which, unfortunately, was quite the trek from the entrance. So, I grabbed Josh and Chris carried Jack and Abby. We got the inevitable, "Ohh, triplets" comments. It's so funny, do people expect us to stop?! These kids are not light!

The visit was with 2 occupational therapists to see if the kids' muscle tone is developing properly. They laid them on a rug and put a mirror in front of them. They also moved their arms and legs back and forth. Surprisingly, Jack is our strongest! Abby still has low muscle tone, but she is getting stronger. Josh just has a bit more to lift! The doctors gave us some suggestions for exercises to do at home. We have to go back in May to see if they are progressing. The babies were pretty good; Jack was a bit fussy and Josh just wanted me to hold him.

Once outside the office, I wanted to go into the office where I had all my visits. Just then my favorite doc showed up, Dr. Oiuyang. Right off the bat he recognized me and remembered my name. I was impressed! I so wanted him to do my delivery, but he was not on call that day. We went to the office, but my fave people were not there. Maybe next time!

Overall, I learned that we have to do more tummy time for better development. Our kids may look big, but we have to remember that we cannot gauge them at 5 months, instead we have to go by adjusted age, which is 3 months. That takes some getting used to.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! You should check out my blog post today...we had the exact same visit and heard the same things. Our babies are the same age, too. It was a positive visit, but didn't really "feel" like it. I wanted them to be WAY ahead...KWIM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem with the stroller thing and when they were 2 months old I ended up buying the snap and go double stroller. It was so much nicer! Only had to carry one that way! It $100, but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete