or rather, she jumped! Miss Abby decided to be just like her mother and get a cast at a young age.
Here's how it happened:
I was in the boys room on Tuesday night for our regular bedtime routine. Abby usually goes to bed by herself without a problem. This time she started to cry, so Chris went in to check on her. She threw out every single burpie from her crib and started putting her leg over the top. Chris warned her, but she was still screaming. He turned his back to close her door so as to not disturb the boys and over she went. He thought she went head first to the ground, but apparently she used her right arm to stop her fall.
She was not hysterical by any means, just shocked from falling. She laid down and I sat with her until she fell asleep. We were worried so we carried her downstairs with us. We noticed that she favored her right arm and kept tucking it behind her. It started swelling a bit at the elbow and she wouldn't let us examine it.
Meanwhile, Chris was prepping for a colonoscopy scheduled for Wednesday morning! We all went to bed (Abby went with us). Around midnight, as Chris was waking up to take another round of the yucky drink, Abby was whining and couldn't sleep. I gave her some Motrin and she fell asleep.
In the morning, she really wasn't using that arm at all. Chris left to the doc, so I got the kids dressed and we were in the car at 8:30am. Our pediatrician's office opened at this time and I called as we were driving. They took us a 9am and the nurse practitioner took one look at her arm and told us we were to go to outpatient (we were on the campus for the hospital) for xrays. So, I packed all kids in car and drove the quarter mile to the outpatient center. Again we all got out of the car with our million toys/stuffed animals/sticker books. Not a good time for me not to have a purse!
We had to wait just to register. The kids were absolutely fabulous!!! They just sat and waited patiently. There were many senior citizens there and they all stopped to say hello to us. Finally after paper work was completed, we made our way to the xray waiting room. I had to tell some stories to the kids at this point because they were a little bored.
It was our turn and we went to the xray room. Here's where the fun started! The nurse wanted me to hold Abby in my lap while the xray was being done. One problem, the boys had to go behind the desk where the technician was so as to not be there for the actual xray. Yeah, the boys are way too shy to go anywhere with a stranger. So, she called in other nurses and we tried bribing the boys with juice and crackers. Nope! New plan: the nurse held Abby on her lap and I took the boys to the safe area. Abby was not happy! Poor girl has stranger anxiety on top of her arm hurting her.
We finally got that done and the kind nurses gave the kids apple juice and graham crackers. They helped us back to the outpatient area where we had to wait for the xray results. The kids were super good sitting at the table and eating and drinking. We had many people approach us and ask questions. At this point, Chris called and all was good with his colonoscopy! Woo hoo!
After the kids finished eating, we took a walk around the place to fight their boredom. We looked through magazines, looked at the vending machines, and pointed out various things. Finally, my cell phone rang and it was the pediatrician's office saying that they saw the results and there was a fracture. The orthopedic doc wasn't available, so we were to go to the ER and get a temporary stint.
So, I lugged the kids out to the parking lot where at this point, the temperature was in the high 80's and extremely humid. We drove across the parking lot to the ER and headed on in, very slowly, mind you.
We again registered at the desk and took a seat. Thankfully, it was nice and cool inside and there was a fish tank which occupied the kids.
We were called into a room for more info. At this point, Abby was just not happy because she has such stranger anxiety with doctors. We then headed to the actual ER and into a room.
I tried to occupy the kids by watching Barney and Elmo on my cell phone. The video would break up at times and Abby was ver upset and wanted to go home. Finally the doc came in and told us about the temporary splint. He said to make an appt. with the orthopedic doc the next day for a cast. Then the nurse came in with the equipment, but Abby was being very feisty and she called in another nurse.
I had to hold Abby down while the nurses were wrapping her arm. Meanwhile, the boys are standing right next to Abby watching everything. I think Abby actually kicked one of them in the head! Josh was saying, "It's going to heal". Miss Abby was trying to take off the cotton wrapping so I had to hold her left arm. The kind nurses then gave each of the kids a stuffed animal and we were given our paper work and sent free.
Again we slowly made our way to the car with a promise of McDonald's french fries! Abby fell asleep right away and the boys enjoyed their fries on the ride home.
All in all, I am so thankful that Abby's injury was not worse. I cracked my elbow at the age of 3 and had a cast as well. Almost a right of passage! I am also thankful that my kids are shy in public places because it makes it so much easier for me. They were respectful, and quite entertaining for those around us. They don't understand yet to keep their voices down when talking!
Once home, Abby was just relaxing on the couch and fell asleep again. I called an made an appt. for 8:30am the next morning at the orthopedic doc.


Oh my goodness!!! What a day! You handled it so well! Glad to hear Abby was such a trooper!
ReplyDelete