We arrived home from Kentucky on Tuesday afternoon and took it easy. Wednesday morning, we cleaned like we never cleaned before! And we finished just in time for our pals to arrive from Dallas! Joe was one of my best friend's from high school and he brought his wife and daughter for a visit.
They arrived in the afternoon and we decided to go to Brookfield Zoo. That was our first mistake. Better to do things in the morning with my kids! Plus, they didn't nap in the car. Anyway, as soon as we entered the lot, we noticed how absolutely packed it was. Right away, Josh didn't want to ride in the wagon, so he hiked the long distance to the entrance.
We saw some of our fave exhibits including the giraffes and okapis. We then stopped to eat some lunch. After a few more exhibits, we wanted to go to Abby's favorite, the hippos. Josh wanted to be carried. I kept telling him no and that he should sit in the wagon. The kid absolutely refused! So, I picked him up and then Abby wanted to be carried. Really?! After lugging around 30+ pounds, I was getting a bit tired and overheated. Once we reached the monkey/hippo exhibit, I told him I was not going to carry him. Wouldn't you know the second I put him down in the crowded exhibit he threw a fit. Argh! What else am I to do but trudge through that packed exhibit carrying this child while holding Abby's hand and listening to her cry. The walkway was extremely difficult to navigate because people were stopping to take pics. My arm was practically falling off and here I am pushing my way through. People were looking at me and probably feeling sorry for poor Abby who just wanted to be carried.
I made it out of the exhibit before anyone else and sat down on a bench. Oh, the joy! Josh decided that he wanted me to stand and then him and Abby got into a fight over me. Meanwhile, people were standing there making those plastic things in the machine just watching this screaming match. Josh was pulling my hair, flailing and screaming. Yeah, I was that mom!
Embarrassed doesn't even begin to cover it. When Chris came out, I was done with Josh and he took him. Problem was, he only wanted me! I am not kidding you, Chris had to carry this child all the way to the parking lot while he was punching and struggling. Josh is heavy and strong! Anyway, Joe and Misty said that they didn't mind leaving anyway. On a positive note, we did get to beat the traffic by leaving a little earlier. I made Josh apologize to everyone when we got home!
I guess that was payback for all the times that my kids were absolute angels everywhere we went. It was bound to happen! And I am happy to say, it hasn't happened since ;)


No comments:
Post a Comment